Let’s read a poem and study it together!
Not sure how to study a poem? Here are some ideas! Choose one or all of these:
- Read aloud and enjoy the poem
- Neatly write out your favorite stanza for handwriting practice or…
- Print out the poem here
- Draw a picture about the poem
- Circle the words that are stressed, or on the beat. (Learn about meter here!)
- Read more about the author’s life
- Share with someone you love <3
Down in a green and shady bed
A modest violet grew;
Its stalk was bent, it hung its head,
As if to hide from view.
And yet it was a lovely flower,
No colors bright and fair;
It might have graced a rosy bower,
Instead of hiding there.
Yet it was content to bloom,
In modest tints arrayed;
And there diffused its sweet perfume,
Within the silent shade.
Then let me to the valley go,
This pretty flower to see;
That I may also learn to grow
In sweet humility.
Hungry for more? Check out…
Poetry Activity (for kids, adults, and everyone in between): All About Meter
Advanced Poetry Lesson: Haiku, Week 2